msn with jfw 5.1 and windows me

  • From: "Hal Pearson" <hspearson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JFW List" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 00:42:44 -0400

Hi all,

I know it's been said many times on list, that msn 6.2 will not work with
any version of jfw and windows me. I just found this out in real life. The
only reason I updated to msn 6.2 was to receive a file someone tried to send
me. The file would not go through with msn 5.0 so I decided to upgrade to 6
until I got the file. My plan was to then go back to msn 5 and get full
access using jfw and windows me. However when I tried downgrading back to
msn 5 my password was not accepted. Returning to version 6.2 resolved this,
and I was then able to log into msn.

I see two choices as a result of my mistake. I understand that there is a
key in the registry having to do with msn 6.2, I could of course edit the
registry and remove it. I however don't wish to go into the registry, under
any circumstances. The second choice, and this is getting back on course as
it relates to jfw. There are great scripts to work with msn 6.2,but they are
designed to work with jfw and windows xp. When I type a mesage, or if
someone sends one, I hear return one. I do see one other possible
alternative. Here is where I wish I knew more about using custom highlight
options. I was thinking, that if I used custom highlighting, and assign say
black on white background when in the history window, I'd at least be able
to arrow up and down and review messages.  As things stand now, when in the
history window, if I press insert 5 nothing is spoken with regards to fore
and background colors, and I cannot review messages either. Well before I
ask how to do this, I will first try reviewing how to customize jfw, and
take it from there. Any other thoughts and ideas are most welcome. I do at
some point, plan to move up to windows xp but not just yet.

Hal