Re: more question about the web site

  • From: Lovette Yewchan <lyewchan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 13:29:19 -0700

Does that mean there is no help for this?
Lovette
At 01:20 PM 9/26/2007, you wrote:
Hi,

Lovette Yewchan wrote: "I am running JAWS 8 and she is running a lower version could that be an issue?"

Yes.  In fact, it probably is.

In JAWS 7.1 Freedom Scientific introduced a new method for rendering the contents of Web Pages and displaying them in the Virtual Buffer called the FSDOM (Freedom Scientific Document Object Model). Under JAWS 7.1 this option was selectable using the "Use Legacy HTML Support" checkbox in the HTML Options dialog of configuration manager, and I think most people chose to keep that box checked as HTML support was much more reliable.

Freedom Scientific made some changes to the FSDOM in Version 8.0, the most notable being putting the address bar and the other tool bars back into the tab order, and they removed the "Use Legacy HTML Support" option.

Whilst the Internet support using FSDOM 10.14 (under JAWS 8.0) is certainly a lot better than that of FSDOM 10.12 (under JAWS 7.1), the Legacy HTML Support was much better in certain areas. For one thing, the Internet is much more responsive when using Legacy support. For another, which applies in your situation, the FSDOM struggles with certain web pages whilst the Legacy support does not. Having said that I've not personally seen any examples but it is obvious to me that they exist given the number of bug reports that have been sent to lists such as these.

I hope that answers your question,
Matthew Horspool