Re: math concepts

  • From: Shane W <shane-jfw@xxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 23:00:22 -0700

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 09:20:25PM -0600, robert Doc Wright wrote:
> I'm having a problem when reading a problem that has exponents. Instead of
> announcing 2 to the second it wil announce 22.

Hi,

Math and Jaws is a real beast, especially when you're
reading someone else's work. There is ways to read
accessible math ala mathtype but afaik you can't author
this way. The word equation editor is also inaccessible. So
it appears that math is just not high on the priority list.

That said, if you are the one writing the math, there are
ways to do it. Rather than using superscripts for
exponents, use the ^ symbol to mark it and use () where
needed to bound the exponent. subscripts ie to denote the
index of a matrix are done with square brackets and
fractions can be bounded using (). Also, have a look at
authoring in tex IE writing the 1 half fraction as
\frac{1}{2}. Duxbury can take a tex file and translate it
into nemeth braille for use with an embosser or braille
display. That and the results come out looking nice in
print too.

Sorry I can't help you with your superscript recognition
issue but I'm afraid that's the tip of the iceberg if
you're getting into math. Good luck.

Shane