Re: making sense of Mozilla Thunderbird

  • From: James Homuth <james@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 00:10:34 -0400

Thunderbird is an accessibility nightmare. I did get mine to work, for about 5 minutes. In trying to make it more accessible, the program crashed when it really had no reason to. And every time I'd start it up, it'd crash again. So it got uninstalled real fast. I already have a working mail client, so I wasn't about to give myself a headache trying to sort it out.

James,
List Admin
At 11:51 PM 13/10/2007, you wrote:
                        Hello folks

I just gave Mozilla Thunderbird a try, and for some unknown reason, I'm not able to make much sense of it. After I installed it and ran the import wizzard, i launched the program and was prompted for my password, which, for whatever crazy reason, I couldn't even enter. for this particular account, the first character of the password is a number, and when I hit that number, Thunderbird flashed something on the screen that said, "alert"! and I was then prompted for my password again. Hitting that same number again, alert! Does Thunderbird have some kind of issue with passwords that contain numbers or some weird thing or other? I would talk about its accessibility with JAWS but to be honest I never really got that far with it. So, if anyone knows why this is happening, or if I'm just doing something incredibly dumb, I didn't think entering a password would get this to happen? I would love to know how to fix it so I can actually try it out. If it turns out that a vast majority of folks here say Thunderbird isn't screenreader friendly I'll just go ahead and trash it, but I wanted to at least try it out and see. Firefox is pretty cool, so i figured Thunderbird couldn't be that bad. Now i wonder though.

Thanks.