laptop query

  • From: "Marvin Hunkin" <startrekcafe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 19:35:40 +1000

hi.
my dad purchase a acer aspire 5315.
using windows vista home basic.
my mum uses the internet.
if she leaves the machine say for 15 minutes.
the internet disconnects.
in the power options.
she has wake up password enabled.
so what options using windows narrator.
and only has only 512 mb ram.
a 1.7 ghz processor, 166 gb hard disk.
now what setting should i look for to change to make it not happen.
talked my mum through the power options.
in control panel and what the closing the lid does.
it is all set to sleep and one option to shut down.
must be some simple set up.
as my folks not too tech savy.
so any ideas.
tried using jaws 10 with ome basic, and got frustrated.
jaws kept jumping around all over the menus.
so afraid to use it on my parents laptop.
so looking at using narator.
and also turn off the user accounts.
as i have turned it off on my machine.
drives me crazy.
also set the screen saver to a longer period.
what other settings in vista to make my parents machine more responsive and
not so sluggish.
it seem to take a good five minutes to boot up.
browsing on the net is slow.
compared to my fast toshiba, 2 gb ram, 2ghz processor, 250 gb hard disl.
have told my dad to purchase more ram, but he is stubborn.
is it a difficult process to do?
or is it pretty simple just to open up another slot for ram.
then put in another slot of ram.
and how much.
cheers Marvin.

Alternative archives located at: