Re: jfw for the blind or visually impaired

  • From: "Yadiel Sotomayor" <yadosotomayor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 15:44:30 -0400

I started learning jaws back when I could still use magnification. I remember
the president at my NFB afiliad saying, " Learn jaws. Not magic. It will be
better for you in the long run." So I did. I followed his advice. As luck would
have it, I started loosing sight from my left eye a couple of months after I
started. It wasn't much, but still it was significant. A year or so later, I
lost most of my left eye'sight and my right is on the way. So, it was a great
desition to learn jaws. Magnification has it uses. I still use it some times
(very poorly, but I get to see what I want). But most of my computing is done
via jaws. Learning jaws was the best desition I ever made regarding my future.
Teach your students to use a screen reader. If they want magnification, let
them learn it by there own, or at least make them learn it after they know how
to operate a omputer without sight. Because you may never know.