Re: jfw crashing with windows 7

  • From: "John R Vaughn" <jrvaughn44@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 21:38:46 -0500

Michael,
I just installed the upgrade for windows 7 from windows vista. I have had some difficult moments since my initial use. At times I thought I had a crash, it was simply the computer taking more time than I would have thought it should take for something to happen. My wife is sighted and so she could confirm things for me and let me know nothing had crashed. Of particular interest to me and for me so far not very nice, is the sluggish performance of Windows Live Mail, the replacement for Outlook Express in ExP and mail in Vista. Not much good about this program as I still cannot get the message rules to work, the list view functions do not work so I can get in the list of folders and use the first key navigation to work and I am still dealing with how to handle the "storage folders" that resulted from my upgrading to Windows Live Mail and had all my existing folders put into the "storage folders" submenue.
But again, the feel of Windows 7 is solid and not flakey.
John in sunny but cool southwest florida
I have listened to the recent podcasts from Freedom Scientific on Windows 7 and have tonight written FS for any tutorials on Windows 7 and Jaws. When I called Freedom Scientific tech support yesterday afternoon, the person I talked to indicated there is not much available to help new users of Windows 7. But as a 20 year user of Jaws, I am eternally optomistic that if I can fully understand the operating system, Jaws will come through. I may in fact, use Outlook 2003 if the Windows Live mail will not work as outlook or winfows mail has worked. I am reluctant to use the Outlook 2003 as under Vista and even EXP, Outlook used a lot of resources and performed more sluggishly than Outlook express. All this said, Windows 7 does have a good feeling about it and I am optomistic that after another few days, I will mend my ways to those of Windows 7 and all will work well. I have used windows 3.1, 95, 98, Millenium, XP, Vista and yes, that is correct the seventh windows operating system windows 7.