RE: jaws key + windows key + F4

  • From: Adrian Spratt <Adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 22:20:42 -0500

Michael,

I'm going to copy the instructions given by a former and much missed lister,
Allan Wong. For clarification, I kept the questions that led to his answers.
I think he addresses your concern.

Question. When I open the Start Menu, and then Programs (Classic mode), the
list doesn't seem to be all there at first. I was thinking there was a
setting to be changed that would fix this, but not sure. I have made all the
recommended changes for XP with Jaws.

Allan Wong. go to control panel and hit letter "t" for "taskbar and start
menu", press enter. press ctrl+tab to start menu tab, make sure the first
option is selected at "classic start menu", now press tab once for
"customize..." and hit spacebar. press tab until "start menu
settings-treeview" and press arrow down to the last selection call "use
personalized menu", make sure it is off, if it is on, press spacebar to turn
it off. press ok button to close and press apply button to activate the
changes and finally press enter at the ok button. now, your start menu list
will be all appear.

Follow-up question. I find that the list under the Windows Programs menu
takes time to appear. I don't know why. A few programs come up immediately,
but it takes several seconds for the entire list to follow. I wait and arrow
up and down so I can tell when the remaining programs have elected to show
themselves.

Allan. Please make sure the option "use personalized menu" is select at off.
to make this changes, refer to my previous posting. after you turn the "use
personalized menu" off, your start/program menu list will appear as normal.

Reply. This works. Many thanks. I figured this was a limitation I had to
live with. One small note. There is no "Apply" button here. I checked twice.
But pressing "OK" after the selection and again at the end of the start menu
sequence buttons seems to hold the changed setting.