Re: jaws and mouse over links

  • From: "Cher Bosch" <Cher.Bosch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 07:47:21 -0600

Tom- I'm with you on that soapbox.  If I actually find a mouse-over link
which works, I'm almost jumping up and down!

Cher

>>> "Tom Lange" <trlange@xxxxxxxxxxx> 01/28/07 2:52 PM >>>

Hi,
You wrote:

> greetings all james in denver is their a jaws keystroke to activate
or be
> able   to use mouse over i am on a page and if i just hit enter on a
mouse

Here's what the JAWS help has to say about mouse over effects:

HTML allows the author of a page to set an OnMouseOver attribute for
most
HTML elements to run specified code such as JavaScript or Visual Basic

Script
when the mouse pointer is moved over the HTML element. Often this is
used to
momentarily display text, graphics, or links. JAWS now recognizes the
OnMouseOver
attribute, and if it is set to display text or links as part of the
page,
JAWS provides access to that information. Press INSERT+CTRL+ENTER to
simulate
moving the mouse pointer over the element at the Virtual Cursor
location. If
the mouse over event caused some part of the page to change, JAWS
announces
the line where the change occurred. To review the new content, you can
press
J to perform the Jump To Line command. Enter the number of the line
that
changed
and press ENTER to move directly to that line. You can press SHIFT+J at
any
time to return to your previous location on the page.

Excuse me if I jump up on my soapbox for a second.
On a lot of pages, when I press insert+ctrl+enter on a MouseOver link,
JAWS
will inform me that it can't detect a change in content.  I don't know
if
it's a JAWS problem or if the MouseOver element was improperly coded.
suspect the latter.  Perhaps I'm a little cynical, but it seems to me
that
there's a hell of a lot of sloppy coding out there on the web, as well
as
outright misuse of certain types of elements, as in the case of the
misuse
of the header tag to emphasize text. I've  used the Surf's Up series of

pages to teach people how to deal with the web, and I've  typically
explained to people that the examples of such elements as MouseOvers
reflect
what should happen in a best-case scenario, but that people shouldn't
be
surprised if they get different results.  The MouseOver is a classic
case.
Okay, I'm off my soapbox now.
Tom

line.

or the way the list is being run, do not post them to the list. Rather