Re: jaws and cd burning

  • From: "Sean McMahon" <smcmahon@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 14:27:03 -0700

I'd think software would play some part in quality, though only have used a few
programs.  I'd use cdex to record.  I've found that just excepting the defaults
works pretty well assuming you're recording from a good cd to start with.
Average bitrate recording tends to do better for newbes then variable bitrate
recording.  You'll see that in the encoder options.  The scroll bars in the rate
for ogg files are a little tricky.  you really have to tap that right or left
arrow a lot to get it to move using page up or down works better and your home
and end keys I don't think move you to the best and worst bitrates.  You may
also have to tab to the slider and tab away from it and then tab back to it to
see what the value is.  Make sure the sample rate on the encoding is the highest
your soundcard can support for really good wquality.  That's not to critical to
no before you begin recording but it's something to play around with.  cdex
takes a while to do a whole cd, so do something else in the mean time and if
jaws is in another application, you'll occasionally be interupted by status
messages from cdex.  Just play around with it.  To play your ripped oggs, use
winamp.