RE: jaws and PDF files

  • From: "Eric Patterson" <ericp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 15:54:43 -0700

Sunshine, I have had the same issue with PDF files and there are a few
things you can do.  First of all, what version of Jaws are you using?  I
have found that reading PDF files works best with Jaws 5.0 and either Adobe
5 or 6.  In addition, do you have an OCR program such as Open Book 6 or 7?
If so, you could try opening the files in your scanning program.  The
program will scan the image and convert it to text.  One way to find out why
you can't read the document is to check the security of the document.  You
can do this by pressing ALT+CTRL+S.  You will need to listen for a couple
things:
1.  Does the document have a master password?
2.  Is extracting text allowed?
3.  Is accessibility enabled?
If there is a password and if accessibility and extracting text are
disabled, you will not be able to read the document.  In addition, have you
tried importing the file to text?  If you press alt+f and use the up and
down arrow keys to go through the menus, you will hear whether the import
file to text option is available.  If it is, try importing the file to text
and viewing it in either Notepad or Word.  If you can't import the file,
again, the document has high security settings that are keeping you from
accessing the file.  I would like to hear recommendations from other list
members.  Thanks.

Eric