Re: jaws 6 and Kurzweil 1000 v 9 conflict

  • From: "Adam Daou" <adam.daou@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 23:19:02 -0400

Hi Debbie,
Did you have this problem with Jaws 5.1? Have you tried to repair Jaws 6 or do
a clean installation?
Last week, I've installed a patch for Kurzweil 1000 version 9 in someone's XP
home edition because the column identification decided to stay on the disabled
state no matter what. The user has jaws 6.0, and he didn't report any problem
between the two. We then decided to have the Neospeech male and female voices
deal with the reading and system messages. I don't know if you have already
downloaded this free patch for K1000. Anyway, normally Optical Character
Recognition applications such as K1000, Openbook, VIP, Omnipage Pro, etc, mind
their own business. They don't struggle for the video driver order. I heard
that there were some discussions about dealing with the driver order. Because
I'm not sure about the outcome, I'm keeping my old installation habit, which is:
1 Have a clean and updated video driver in Xp Home or Pro. Create a System
Restore Point for each adaptive software installed.
2 Install the scanner and all O C Rs (VIP, K1000, Openbook, Omnipage Pro)
needed for demo or training.
3 Install Jaws, with Braille display and or external synthesizer if needed.
Avoid the sleep mode when using other adaptive software.
4 Install Window-Eyes.
5 Install Hal screen reader.
6 Install Magic, Zoomtext, Supernova.
7 Create a limited user account for demo or training, and leave the admin
account for the person in charge of the installation.
The above steps have always worked for me, but they might not work for others.
One thing is sure, always have a good and clean video driver prior to
installing screen readers or magnification software. Same when uninstalling and
reinstalling them. However, I don't know whether  the driver lineup is still in
effect or not.
Please keep us posted.
Best regards,
Adam