Re: jaws 10 update solved! !

  • From: Bruce Toews on Unspecified Input Device <bruce@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 17:54:28 -0600 (CST)

This is one of the reasons I really do not ever, ever use MSConfig. Much better to turn something off properly than to pull out the wires. But I'm glad you got your problem solved.

Bruce

--
Bruce Toews
Proud JAWS User

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008, Curtis Delzer wrote:

I discovered my problem using jfw tandem, as well as the update features. . .
I had, before, run a program, a firewall called Commodo, which is very very good! What was happening was that the fire wall has a service which was not disabled, and that service was blocking the port. I know you're asking why didn't it ask me to allow such and such a port or program to have internet access? It couldn't since the main executable was not running, disabled in msconfig, but not the service. So, it was merrily keeping me from injury, or whatever, :) and blocking stuff I had not enabled before I disable the executable. Convoluted, yes, but sometimes these computer issues get to be that way. :) Thanks and I hope this help someone who might be experiencing such issues. If you have run a program in the past which you spent time on, meaning enabling your internet programs through it, like a fire wall, and then disabled it in some way, either through it's control panel or msconfig, be sure that the services for such fire wall are also disabled for future programs which may require certain ports to be open. :)

Curtis Delzer.
HS