Re: how to find out the file size of my hotmail's inbox account with Jaws

  • From: "Bill White" <billwhite92701@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 20:18:23 -0800

Hi, Daniel. According to Google, this is almost impossible. Here is what they
say.

Windows Live Hotmail (MSN Hotmail) has implemented an ever-growing storage
space scheme that provides and increases the space available for user's e-mail
as need arises. The ever-growing storage feature will provide Hotmail account
with as much storage space as it needs by increasing inbox capacity when limit
is hit or more space is required, provided that normal amount of email messages
are sent and received.

As such, Hotmail storage space is not unlimited in size, although it will keep
increasing and growing month after month. So how do you know what's the storage
space that been allocated to your Hotmail account? Previously, when the Hotmail
space limit was 5GB, in Today screen after logging into Windows Live Hotmail, a
storage space utilization status bar is displayed. However it has been replaced
with a simple text - "You have ever-growing storage."

To check the current actual storage space limit on a Hotmail account, user has
to use the following workaround, and it's almost impossible now to check the
space available or space that has been used from Hotmail webmail web interface.

Method 1 - Microsoft Office Outlook Connector

Microsoft Office Outlook Connector is a free add-in for Microsoft Outlook that
allows users to access Windows Live Hotmail or Office Live Mail accounts
through Microsoft Outlook, with ability to sync emails, contacts, tasks and
notes of Windows Live Calendar. In Outlook Connector, total space allocated,
used and free for Hotmail account can be viewed at Mailbox Cleanup function.

Download Outlook Connector for Office 2010

 and

 Outlook Connector for Office 2003 and Office 2007. Outlook Connector is also
available through

 Windows Live Essentials download.

Method 2 - MSN Explorer

MSN Explorer is web browser (essentially Internet Explorer shell) that
integrates MSN and Windows Live features such as Windows Live Hotmail and
Windows Live Messenger with a web browser. After linking with Hotmail's Windows
Live ID, MSN Explorer Mail function can show the maximum folder size allowed,
which represents total storage space available on Hotmail.

As seen from screenshots above, Hotmail account is now providing 500 GB (512000
MB) of disk storage space to Hotmail users, and it applies to at
Hotmail-powered accounts from Admin Center, Office Live and MSN Premium.
However, do note even there is 500 GB of space to spare, any sudden and
abnormal huge increase in inbox size likely trigger warning e-mail for Windows
Live Hotmail, or worse, account been suspended from receiving emails.

Bill White billwhite92701@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx