Re: hburning a cd

  • From: TinyO999@xxxxxxx
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 11:11:45 EDT

In a message dated 8/1/2007 10:48:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
CBlackwell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hello Mary,

Here's a try a a brief over all discussion of how to burn cd's.

You first have to decide which of several programs you want to use to
accomplish this task.  Also you, generally, will need to have the music or data
tracks you wish to burn on your hard drive.  Putting music tracks on your hard
drive is called ripping.  Again, there are lots of different programs for
accomplishing this.  Web sites like jfwlite.com or jaws-users.com  will have
lots of
instructions and sample programs for doing this.  Some examples include CDDEX,
CD DA digital Extractor, Winmdow Media, Real Player, Easy CD Creater, etc.

In the case of data tracks or files, you can have them on a disk in your disk
drive or on your computer.  There are both similarities and differences in
how you handle music and data tracks.  You don't need to "rip" a data track to
your hard drive.  You can move a data track as you would any file by "cutting"
or "copying" and "pasting".

Music files that can be played in a cd player are generally ones with the
extension .wav or .cdda.  mp3 files are more like data files than music files.
You don't need to "rip" an mp3 files to the hard drive, you can "copy" and
"paste".

Once you have your files either music or data in the location easiest for you
to deal with, select your burning program.  Again, jfwlite.com and
jaws-users.com, have excellent tutorials on using programs like Easy CD
Creater, Nero
and Windows Media Player to burn disks.  I won't try to duplicate that work
that
has already been done.  If after reading those tutorials, you have questions,
post them and people will try to help or feel ree to contact me.

I'll describe the burning process for Real Player as I don't think it's
described elsewhere very thoroughly.

I find it easiest to go to the files I want to burn, select them and then hit
the applications key.  That will bring up a context menu.  Arrow down, I
think 4 items to Burn in Real Player"and hit the enter key.

This will bring up Real Player on the cd burner.  This can take a while
depending on the speed of your computer.  Be patient and let it gain focus.
Once
that has happend, you can alt/tab back to the files you want to select for
burning and repeat until you have a full disk.  If you're burning a music disk
be played in a cd player, you might get anywhere between 15 and 25 songs on an
80 minute disk depending on the length of the songs.  If you're burning a
data disk, , how many files will fit will dependind upon the file size.

Once you've selected all the track and move them to the burner using the
right click method, get focus back in the Real Player cd burner page by
alt/tabbing if you're not already there.

tab down to the first combo box.  Here's where you can slecet whether you are
burning a music disk )one that can be played in a cd player), a data disk
(for mp3 traks or storage of data) or if using the Real Player + version, an
mp3
disk.  You open the combo box in the usual way, with alt + down arrow, and
make your selection.  Tab once and hit the "ok" button.

Continue to tab down and select from where you are getting your files,
generally the Real Player library in the case of a music disk.  One more tab
allows
you to select the type of files, music, media, etc.

A couple more tabs brings you to an options combo box.  If you use the plus
version, you can use this to slect good options like removing the gap between
tracks and normalizing the volume accross all tracks.  the plus version of Real
Player, is, I think, $19.95 and is a one time charge.  I think it's
worthwhile.

One more tab brings you to the "burn" button.  You have to use your mouse or
the enter key to trigger this button.  Generally in Real Player, using the
spacebar will start play of the last track played.  Hitting the spacebar here
will do that instead of iniating the burn process.  Depending upon the
options you've sleceted elsewhere in the progra, it will eject the disk when it
is
done.  It may play the tracks also unless you've togled that off elsewhere.

Once the cd is burned, if using the plus version, can arrow around to Print
the Jewel case, and with a few additional clicks you can print an insert with
the tracks listed for your cd.

If you have additional questions, I'd be happy to try to help.  Sorry that
this got soooo long.

Cliifford