Re: fully charged lap top batteries

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 06:22:08 -0800

Just in case there's anyone who might be amused by this, I had a funny
experience with this subject line, because of its wording.  The first few
times the message appeared in my Inbox, I deleted it, thinking it must be a
spam email advertising a deal on refurbished laptop batteries.  which had
managed to slip through the spam filter I've got on my ISP's email server.
This happens every now and then.  You know, I thought it was one of those
come-ons like Last Chance to claim your free laptop, 1 2 3 Inkjets, and so
forth.  I had never heard about an online business selling only refurbished
laptop batteries at low prices, but I figured, sure there's probably a
business or scam going like that.   Why not.  So I deleted the first one,
and then a couple more that responded to it, figuring that the spam output
engine was running through a bunch of random names to use as phony message
senders.

It just happened that the list subscriber names and handles on these
messages-- the first one was Francis, I think, or Frances; I didn't trace
over it letter by letter to see-- as were the first couple of responses, so
the names didn't ring a JFW List bell for me.

But then someone familiar chimed in on the thread, a name or handle I was
familiar with here on the list, so I looked at the message, and sure enough,
it was a question about how to tell the state of your laptop battery with
partial sight and/or Jaws.  Since I don't have a laptop, I could afford to
laugh at my mistake.  I could have opened the Properties tabs to see that
the headers involved the freelists listserv, or I could've just opened the
first couple of messages themselves and seen that they weren't spam.  But,
well, I couldn't remember any Frances or Francis, and this list's subject
line doesn't have one of those automatic deals with the list name in
brackets, so, well, you see.

there's probably a useful thought in this, somewhere.  Most likely that a
good subject line ought to mention something either about Jaws or at least
about the nature of the issue, e.g. How to tell if laptop is charged, or
something like that.

anyway, I thought it was funny.