Re: freedom scientific weird numerical system

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 13:41:31 -0700

Chris,

Yes, what you say here probably does explain it in a literal sense, but what
way is that for a company to list its releases for the end user? The result
is pretty senseless and needlessly confusing for someone like me. Although
I've managed to keep track of which was which, it hasn't been without a lot
more effort than I wish it had been. you know, version 2.0, version 2.1,
version 2.5 and so forth would have been a nice model to follow. Why we end
users, *especially* because we're not just glancing at the numbers visually
and taking them all in at once and "getting it," should be burden with such
extravagant and confusing numbering has always been beyond me. I've just put
up with it because I have the program, and I need it, and so I bear with the
annoyance as an inescapable eccentricity of the company providing me with
that program. But not cheerfully. Not at all. Like Adrian, every time I need
to refer to my version and build number, I have to put up the Jaws window
and open the Help menu. Big drag. And I can't remember from one time to the
next which number it was. Others seem to be fine with this and to revel in
knowingly trotting out build numbers. They say things like "That keystroke
worked okay for me in version 10.9987612, but it doesn't work now in
90093448, so I'm uninstalling it and going back to 99878344, which I believe
was just before the function broke."

, but I'm not among such users. I wish FS would keep their internal
categories to themselves and provide simple, straightforward numbering for
the public releases we wind up using.

IMHO, and so forth, of course. Free country, different strokes, a million
ways to get something done, etc. :-)
confusion  have to be wtoermented It always seemed really silly. really
extravagent and pretty ----- Original Message -----