Re: force shutdown

  • From: "Blake Sinnett" <frequency660@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 00:43:46 -0600

You've got to be kidding right? XP writes to the disk almost constantly. It's always doing something, whether it be to do with the indexing service, disk maintenance, or reading/writing to the registry. This is highly not recommended, as the disk could be turned off right in the middle of writing something. The data that was being written to the disk will be lost, which may cause errors later on down the road. Also, the hard disk may not be able to park correctly. If you must do it, listen to the computer's hard disk, and feel for vibrations that may be from the disk reading/writing. Also, I wouldn't recommend using the software controled power button unless absolutely necessary. I'd switch it off at the power supply. This way, the disk won't start doing something when you press it. If you have a hardware power button that actually takes care of opening and closing the circuit, that's ok.

"frequency660@xxxxxxxxxxx" is a NetIBA certified email address. Certificate #1070793E. Please visit NetIBA at http://www.netiba.com/?22912

From: "Cougar/Steve Vandecar" <cougars-den@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: force shutdown
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 20:37:25 -0800

If Your JAWS quits talking and it won't restart why not just turn the computer off with the on off switch. If you are usings XP it won't hurt anything at all. You may have to hold the button in for a little while to get it to shut down if the computer is locked up but it works every time and you don't have to remember any key strokes.

Steve
----- Original Message ----- From: "Blake Sinnett" <frequency660@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Bobcat" <bobcat11@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 17:28:58 -0700

Does the classic logon change the shut down dialog in XP. It really bugs me that every version of windows has a different shutdown dialog.

Incase this seems off topic. Remember that our screen readers aren't always talking when we are trying to shut down so we need to know exact methods for every situation.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Blake Sinnett" <frequency660@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Allan Wong" <allanwkf@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 10:48:02 +0800

oops, I think this is wrong. for windows XP, in the shutdown menu would be

stand by, button
turn off, button
restart, button
hibernate, button
cancel, button

your direction:
windows key and then the letter u and press the enter

this only will bring to stand by option.

the correct one is:
windows key, a letter u, and another letter u.

hth
A W
From: "David Grossoehme" Sent: Saturday, March 04, 2006 10:38

Ray another way to try and shut down the computer is the press the windows key and then the letter u and press the enter key. Your Friend Dave