Re: firefox and Jaws

  • From: "Michael G." <commodore128@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 11:45:50 -0600

Hi,

I'm glad people have found my little work around to work for them. I'll tell you how this idea occurred to me and why I think it's an issue with the virtual cursor. When you're navigating the search results with your virtual cursor and land on a product link, right-mouse click on the link and bring up the context menu. Notice that it doesn't offer you any of the typical items such as Open, Open in New Window, Copy Shortcut, etc. In fact, it appears that the virtual cursor has focus on an empty spot within the page. I originally wanted to try opening the link in a new window but as you can see, this isn't possible. That's when I thought of maybe turning the virtual cursor off and trying the links list. This issue doesn't make any sense to me. If the virtual cursor is able to read the darn link, why the heck can't it interact with it in the normal way? And why is it that only some links are affected while others are not? This is the first time I've ever encountered an issue like this. Amazon is obviously using something new in the way of web page design that Jaws isn't able to handle. I have to agree with some of the other comments I've read. This appears to be more an issue that Freedom Scientific needs to address rather than Amazon. If Amazon is beginning to use this particular type of web page design, then it's a good bet that other web sites will start to implement the same type of design as well. Freedom Scientific will need to find how to get Jaws to work with these designs and hopefully soon.

Michael

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>