Re: e-books with JAWS

  • From: Alex Midence <alex.midence@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 22:56:12 -0500

Honestly, though, if I had my true druthers, just a plain old .txt file is just
wonderful for an eBook.  I read a lot of the stuff on Project Gutenberg and
much of it is in plain text format.  Bookmarks, you say?  Just put an odd
character combination where you stopped reading and do a jaws find to it.  I
like inserting a string like khkj with a space on either side of it where I
left off and just deleting it when I resume reading.  I've never had Jaws
encounter a problem finding it, the format is always accessible, and the file
size is tiny compared to just about anything else you can find.  Just read the
Three Musketeers like that over the weekend using jaws with the Australian
English Karen voice which I find insanely pleasant to listen to never mind the
oddity of an American English speaker choosing Ausie English to read a book
originally written in French.

Alex