easy-to-use and inexpensive program for converting scanned image PDF files into Word or text documents

  • From: "tom behler" <tombehler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jaws users e-mail list" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 20:22:31 -0600

Hi, folks.

I am a bit hesitant to bring this up again, since I'm partly responsible for
the earlier thread on this topic, but I am looking for an easy-to-use and
inexpensive program for converting scanned image PDF files into Microsoft
Word or text files.

I need to be able to do this at work, since I am getting a fair number of
PDF scanned image documents that I need to deal with.

Some on the list here have recommended omnipage, and processtext, but I am
reluctant to spend the money on them without trying some sort of a demo
first.  But, no demo seems to be available for either program.

I do have an old version of the Kurzweil K1000 software, but am getting away
from it, since most of the documents I use at work are electronically sent,
rather than in hard copy.

Just for the record, I am currently using Windows XP and Jaws 11.

I may be upgrading to Windows 7 when I purchase a new home PC, so want
whatever software I get to work with that system as well if possible.

Thanks for all of your help and patience.

Tom Behler in Colorado

Alternative archives located at: