Re: directx

  • From: "Will Pearson" <will-pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 06:56:19 -0000

Hi;

DirectX is a suite of components designed to improve the multimedia
experience of computing.  It is used mainly for games at the moment, and
includes components to improve Window's performance with MIDI and Wave
audio, haptech input devices, graphics rendering and multi-player games
connectivity.

However, it's not used throughout Windows.  Instead the programmer writing
the software has to tell their software to directly interact with one of the
DirectX components, say DirectSound.  So, unless you have any applications
written to use DirectX components it's pretty useless, although once
software uses it it's a great thing, especially for human computer
interaction researchers such as myself *grin*.

Will Pearson
Microsoft MVP (Visual Developer/VC++)