Re: dectalk with serial connection

  • From: "Farfar Carlson" <dgcarlson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 14:11:43 -0700

Adrian,

Elucidating...

First the question was posed with a subject line of:
dectalk with serial connection

So that's exactly my experience, using a Serial-to-USB converter cable with
a DecTalk Express external synthesizer. In fact, I have two of these, so I
guess one's a backup.

Specifically I'm using XP Pro, but I suspect that as long as you're running
a 32-bit version of Windows 7 the good old DTE.EXE (or is it DTE.DLL?)
should work just fine. The adapter cable is pretty cheap ~$20 on line, so a
valid experiment to try. Can't beat the speedy response of a DecTalk
Express.

Now if you're using a 64-bit operating system, I have no idea if the drivers
will work, and of course it's very unlikely that any 64-bit drivers will be
developed for the DecTalk Express.

Dave

From: Gery Gaubert <GGaubert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 08-03-2010 12:16

Did you think about getting a serial to usb adapter?  I did that for a
Braille display and it works great.  Not sure if it will work with a speech
synth.

Gery D. Gaubert
Assistant, Information Technology Administrator St. Charles Parish Sheriff's
Office office (985) 783-0208 mobile 504-329-9439
ggaubert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This e-mail and any attachments thereto are intended only for the use by the
addressee(s) named herein and contain propriety/confidential information. If
you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this e-mail, and any
attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
e-mail in error, please immediately notify me by telephone (985-783-0208)
and permanently delete/destroy the original and any copy of any e-mail and
any printout thereof.

Alternative archives located at: