Re: creating accessible documents

  • From: Alex Midence <alex.midence@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 08:23:38 -0500

Why do people like pdf's so much anyway?  I've always found them to be
a real pain in the rear to navigate with Jaws.  I frequently get into
situations with them where Jaws just freezes up or gets unresponsive.
I stay away from them as much as I can.  If you want a truly cool save
as feature for making a long word document easily navigable with Jaws,
have your prof save it as a single-page html document with a .mht
extension.  You'd be able to just navigate through it using jaws'
virtual cursor commands in your web browser.  No need to mess with any
stinking pdf's.  I do this a lot with rtf's I download from
webscriptions.  I can still read the whole book with one jaws command
or, if I want to go chapter by chapter or heading by heading, I can.

Alex