Re: correct information: website of scanned books and subscription

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 12:28:08 -0800

Blake,
I don't understand this as a reply to my post. Sorry.

From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 11:22:19 -0800

Hi Renette,

First of all, thanks for this information about joining this list. I'll be
interested to see what sort of discussions happen there and also what
resources, including scanned books, may be circulating. I have one question,
and wonder what your own experience has been with this Yahoo group
registration and others like it.

As you're sure to be aware, if you've joined the group by now, completing
group registration for a Yahoo group requires a final step of typing into a
text field the characters shown in a graphical display that a screen reader
can't see because it's a graphical display, not HTML.

Some Web sites using this kind of security feature (I keep forgetting what
it's called; something that sounds like captcha or something), there's a
button a screen reader user can click on to get a streaming audio rendering
of the characters, and then type in what they hear. Sometimes this works
nicely, other times the voice is distorted or, ironically, the reading
begins too quickly so that Jaws is still announcing the launch of your media
player, which obscures the first character or two.  But that's another
issue, one I can only wish was my only problem here. At least when that
happens, you can keep trying until the reading changes to another set of
characters and/or begins a little less precipitously.

On Yahoo, there's a link to a special form for the screen reader user to
request telephone or online help. Actually, the notice on the groups page
now just says you'll be called by someone. Sorry. Anyway, I tried to join a
Yahoo group just this way a couple of months ago, and my experience with the
customer support people was horrendous. For one thing, though I'd written in
my message very clearly which group I wanted to join, and what my problem
was, the people who called me, one after another, had no idea what it was I
needed, didn't know what a screen reader was, transferred me to other
departments saying they were supposed to help only with registration, not
with group joining, and so forth. It was crazy.

Then, I finally was called by someone who understood what I told them about
the situation. They told me, for some reason I can't remember,that they
actually *couldn't* help me, just by completing my registration, but what
they could do was enter a special instruction in the Yahoo system saying
that my account ID would never again be presented with a graphical image
blockade. Well, first they said or implied this adjustment would be
temporary, but couldn't  tell me when the window would open and when it
would close, which led to a crazy discussion. Then the same person said they
could make it permanent, and that when I tried again, if I waited a few days
for the change to take effect, I'd find no graphical blockade anymore when I
tried to sign up for a yahoo group.

Well, I've just been there, under the right account ID, responding directly
from the blindbooks group confirm email you get after sending the request to
join email, and the captcha thing is still there. And I am not going to ask
those people to call me again, not on your life. I'll wait until a sighted
friend comes by tomorrow or the next day and get them to just do that step
for me.

But I'm disappointed, as this is annoying and takes away some independence
that I'd rather have about things like this. How did you go about joining?
By the way, as always happens to me with these Yahoo group signups, simply
replying to the confirm email never gets me onto a list or a group. Never
has. I reply to that email, as required, and never receive the welcome email
to the group or ,list. So, that's another issue.

Thanks for whatever help or insight you may be able to offer.
vititing fot clalelwirtten he onlh. I onlyu  hose charactererednering
ompetitng complettiregiexprience