Re: copying dvds

  • From: "Adrian Spratt" <A.Spratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 20:34:13 -0400

For anyone following this thread, Rick's reference to the "DMCA" means the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998. And yes, Rick, I live in the U.S.

Rick, this seems like an incredibly narrow distinction to you, but the act does not prohibit fair use, meaning in this case personal use. However, it does make fair use extremely difficult, if not impossible, because courts have interpreted the act as rendering DVD-copying programs illegal. I have a feeling the law will evolve, but that's an argument for another day. Right now, the only point I want to make is that we shouldn't casually toss around accusations of illegal behavior when people write to the list with questions about copying DVDs. If doing so for their own purposes, it would be perfectly legal, even though the act, as interpreted by federal courts, makes the copying software illegal. Call it Catch-22.

For anyone interested, here's a link to one online discussion:

http://counsel.cua.edu/FEDLAW/Dmca.cfm

Recognizing this thread isn't JAWS-related, I won't respond to any more messages. However, I urge us all to be careful when we say that what someone wants to do is illegal. Francis, whose message started this thread, understandably believed that what he wanted to do made sense, and he was right. It's a sad development that the technology to carry out his wishes has been banned.

Visit my webpage and podcast feed at www.blind-geek-zone.net

From: "Rick Harmon" <rharmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I just stated as to why Nero will not copy a copy protected DVD. No commercial software will do this because it's illegal under the law to do so. I didn't say he couldn't do it, I just stated that Nero won't do it and why it won't do it. Rick

=======

Visit my webpage and podcast feed at www.blind-geek-zone.net

From: "Rick Harmon" <rharmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Nero doesn't copy copy protected DVD's since this is Illegal.

Rick

=======

Visit my webpage and podcast feed at www.blind-geek-zone.net