Re: copying dvds

  • From: "Adrian Spratt" <A.Spratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 15:34:02 -0400

Rick,

I believe your response here is unduly hard. Francis is right that we ought to be able to copy any work we buy for our own purposes, as we photocopy newspaper articles for our own files and CDs onto cassette and even onto our PCs. There can be nothing illegal about copying the content of a DVD onto our own system. However, it may be that manufacturers copy-protect their DVDs against even this personal use out of fear of distribution occurring from that point.

So what Francis wants to do isn't illegal, but that doesn't mean he will be able to do it. I don't know the answer to this second question, but it's the one he's asking.
Visit my webpage and podcast feed at www.blind-geek-zone.net