Re: completely uninstalling jaws & DriveScrubber

  • From: "Will Pearson" <will-pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 13:26:20 -0000

Hi;

Firstly, these sort of programs don't wipe a whole hard drive.  The only way
to do that is to format the hard drive, or nuke the sectors of the HD
containing the file allocation table, which will leave the data on the drive
but render the drive inoperable, as the O/S won't know which drive sectors
to read in order to get the file data.  Instead, what they do is to wipe all
sectors of a hard drive that once contained data but that have been flagged
in the file allocation table as being available to be overwritten.  This
will mean that all files that haven't been deleted won't be affected,
however those that have been deleted will have the space they once occupied
on the hard drive overwritten with garbage.  This will render it impossible
to recover the data that these files contained.

As you cite a process running within the shell of the O/S, this shouldn't be
a problem.  All processes, and any threads they create run in logical
storage, or memory.  Once you load a program it's code is automatically
transferred to memory, where it's executed until the application quits,
crashes, etc. and the program is unloaded from memory, and all memory is
returned to the available pool of memory, unless there's been any memory
leaks, in which case some but not all will be returned.

What you may be trying to infer, is that Windows is a dynamic operating
system, which loads bits in to memory from the hard drive as they are
required.  As these drive cleaning programs don't touch files that exist,
including the memory swap file, any operating system files won't be
interfered with by this category of application.  So, Windows will still be
able to load components in as it needs them, although it's worthwhile not
using any other applications whilst using a drive cleaning program, as these
may create tempory files that may not get cleaned.

So, Windows won't be damaged, nor fall over, as a result of using a drive
cleaning program.  It's sole purpose is to wipe areas of a hard drive where
files once resided but where they reside no more, not to wipe everything off
a hard drive.  If you want to completely wipe a hard drive, and aren't a
programmer, the only way you can do this is to exit to DOS, as DOS
completely resides in memory, and format the hard drive.

Will Pearson
Microsoft MVP (Visual Developer/VC++)
For more information on the Microsoft MVP Program, go to:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com