Re: completely uninstalling jaws

  • From: "Will Pearson" <will-pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 17:07:42 -0000

Hi;

There is one situation in which I know JAWS doesn't completely uninstall
itself.  If you've modified anything to do with scripts, config files,
dictionary files, etc., then when you uninstall JAWS the
JAWSXXX\settings\enu folder will still be left.  FS decided to leave this in
case you wanted to do something with your modified files at a later date,
instead of simply deleting the files containing your modifications.  As
quite a lot of people modify JAWS to suit their needs, which is one of the
powers of JAWS over other screen readers, this seems like a good decision on
the part of FS.

However, under normal operations on systems without "system rot", everything
else except for the authorisation key and the DCM drivers are uninstalled.
These are supplementary things separate to the main JAWS For Windows
application, but which JAWS utilises in it's normal operations.

Will Pearson
Microsoft MVP (Visual Developer/VC++)
For more information about the MVP Program, go to:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com