Re: changing language situation

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 09:17:41 -0800

hello Chris,

I do in fact have Jaws running from my system  tray, launching at startup.  And
I use this insert J command regularly.  However, even though Jaws clearly
announces "context menu" when I invoke it, for some reason I've tended to
ignore this announcement because what that brings up appears to be very much
like a replica of the Jaws interface I'm familiar with if I happen not to be
running Jaws in the system tray, which I think of as the Jaws interface, just
as if it were the interface of some other program.  This "context menu" appears
to have main entries that are, in fact, nothing but the same menu headings
which appear along the menu line of the Jaws interface.  Except that you don't
have to bother pressing the alt key to go to the menu line. You see what I'
mean?  So I've always imagined it was just a way to bring up the Jaws main
screen (that's what I mean by "interface") when it wasn't always there to cycle
to in the task bar.  That's all I thought was invoked by Insert J.

And you know, I'm not sure I'm wrong, even now.  All that would convince me
would be if I had someone with normal vision look at what's onscreen when I
have jaws in the Task Bar, then reset Jaws to run in the system tray, reboot,
and see if the display in fact just looks as if you've brought up the main Jaws
screen with a hotkey.

anyway, had I ever allowed myself to register hearing "context menu" as I
pressed Insert J, I'd have known that's what it's called by FS, whether
frivolously or more seriously.

Thanks for explaining,
Daniel