career question

  • From: "Jamie Prater" <jdprater@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 15:21:19 -0600

Hi, all, I use jaws 10 and did medical transcription until last May.  I had to
quit this due to hand pain and burnout.  I was given the websites of
www.convergys.com and www.elance.com, both companies that hire from home.  I
have mixed feelings about working at home and/or the call center setting.  I
cannot find out if there are people who are blind who work at convergys.  I
have been told that finding out and giving out that information could violate
privacy rights.  I'll respect this but I don't think I'm asking too much.  I
was able to find similar information out when I was starting into
transcription.  All I know is that I'd possibly have to have two IP addresses,
need to multitask and use some type of chat software--was not specifically told
which one, but I would need to multitask and use chat or instant messaging.
This will be fine unless they use java and I am unable to find this out.
Basically, I want to know the good, bad, and ugly about the call center career,
particularly as it relates to jaws and/or a braillenote before I make a
decision one way or another.  I can be reached privately at
jdprater@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  Thanks and have a blessed day.