Re: blogging and jfw

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 13:10:24 -0800

Jim,

Well, as I said, I'm  not exactly a wordPress power user, as we say. But I
do finally use it just as if it were a regular blog for posting, although I
have to choose a category in which to create a new post, which you probably
don't have to bother with.

So, I can probably assume that the actual page for creating and editing a
post looks the same to you as it does to me. Let me give the steps I go
through, and see if this sounds familiar and possibly helpful.

1. start at the Dashboard page. Using the Jaws links list or just a Find or
however you wish to do it, go to the Write link (the one labeled "write,"
that is) and press Enter.

2. Now of course you can tab through the various settings and combo boxes on
that page and set things in whatever way is right for you. But in terms of
entering the post itself, just navigate to edit fields using the E key. You
may come first to an edit field for the slug, which is a traditional
newspaper printing term but I forget what it means in WordPress. Then you'll
come to the title edit field, probably, and there you can type in a title
after of course pressing enter to get into Forms Mode.

next, just press the PC cursor key to get out of Forms Mode so you won't be
typing in the title field anymore, and hit E again. Jaws may not say
something that sounds very descriptive or helpful, but you'll be in the edit
field for the post. Let me go into WordPress and see what Jaws says when you
get to that field:

Well, I just went there and, unsurprisingly, Jaws said "Post, edit" when I
arrived in that field. So just press Enter to go into Forms mode again and
try typing. Then of course, after editing what you've typed, you'll want to
tab to either Save and continue Editing or just Save, which posts the
message.

I hope something I've said has helped. by the way when you open that Write
page, you may as well make sure the window is maximized by pressing alt
escape x, because if the window's reduced in size when that page opens, Jaws
might have a more difficult time making sense of it to help you work there.