Re: blogging and jfw

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:00:15 -0800

Hi Ron,

I use WordPress myself, and I've heard it described now and then on blind
lists as being one of the screen reader friendly ones. But first of all,
I'll confess that I had a professional Web design guy who's hosting my Web
site do the design work to build the site using WordPress, because I didn't
want a simple blog sort of setup. But I have looked around WordPress, and I
am able to post to my site, edit posts, and all that. My only caveat would
be that even though most WordPress functions seem to be fairly screen reader
friendly, and there's documentation and user forums for help, it's an
awfully cluttered site as far as I'm concerned, using Jaws, and when I've
tried to look into the documentation I've been very frustrated and confused
about what's going on within a page or what link leads to what resource, I
think in  a way a sighted user wouldn't suffer because they'd just see the
pattern of how page elements were laid out and which ones were repetitious
globally present page elements and which were the ones he or she was really
focused on at that moment. But doing it blind can seem like a real maze, or
did for me. I'd say try it out, though, because you may find it easier than
I did to get oriented, and the functions you need may not be very difficult
to avail yourself of

Sorry that sounds so ambivalent, but I hope it helps. Again, I think if
you're simply setting up a standard blog, and have a limited number of
design features you wish to manipulate, it might be pretty much nice and
easy.