Re: backing up outlook messages

  • From: "Michael G." <commodore128@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 11:10:15 -0600

Hi Sanjay,

One way of doing this, and this happens to be my preferred method, is:

1.  Open Outlook Express
2.  Go to the menu bar, choose Tools.
3.  Choose Options
4.  Press CTRL+Tab until you hear Jaws say Maintenence Page.
5.  Tab over to the Store Folder button and press Enter.
6.  A dialogue box will appear.  Tab until you reach the edit box.  The box
will contain a path to where your emails and address book data is stored.
Select and copy this path to your clipboard (CTRL+C).
6.  Press Escape a few times to get out of the Options screen.
7.  Now open Windows Explorer and Tab until you reach the Address bar.
8.  Paste the pathname you copied a moment ago (CTRL+V) and press Enter.
9.  Now tab until your reach the list view.
10.  All your email and address book data should be displayed.  Simply copy
everything in this folder and put it somewhere safe, preferably on a CDR or
some other external form of storage media.
11.  Whenever you need to restore your Outlook Express data, all you have to do
is copy this information into the same folder.  It can bee a difficult path to
remember so whenever you need the path again, simply  look at the Store Folder
again under Tools.

If I get a chance a little bit later, I'll tell you how you can simplify this
process somewhat by using a Send To command.  But I'm out of time for right
now.  Hoope this helps.

Michael