back again to jaws with xp pro or xp standard

  • From: "Joanne" <houseofmusic3345@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jfw" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:21:19 -0500

I asked a few weeks ago if jaws standard would work in an xp pro system, and
it seemed to be the consensus that this couldn't be done.  I need to be a
little more specific now and tell you what happened to a friend of mine and
to also tell you my experiment with it, because your feedback is definitely
needed and will be appreciated.

We specifically told the builder of my friend's computer that she needed XP
home, not XP pro which this guy usually installs, because we explained she
has jaws 4.51 standard and would need XP home to make jaws more functional.
Well unfortunately her computer arrived yesterday with ... you guessed it
... XP pro.  Someone has told her she should be able to use it okay with her
standard jaws, so I went out to my children's computer which has XP pro and
I put a jaws demo in.  I found that it got me onto internet explorer and I
could do some basics, but I noticed it ran slow and I noticed I could not
read certain list views.  It maybe read 2 items out of the 8 in list view
under "my computer" so obviously this isn't going to work with her system if
she can't always get full screen and list view readings.  Do any of you have
XP pro with jaws standard and does it work well for you, or would you advise
that she purchase XP home?  Could leaving her system the way it is cause
damage or what     do you think?  Thanks.