anybody have more info on the Focus Blue display

  • From: Claus Thøgersen <c.thoeg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 09:27:02 +0200

Hi,

Yesterday Freedom announced a new 40 cell focus display called the focus Blue since it can connect both with USB and Bluetooth. It has a perkins style keyboard and some extra keys. The weight is close to but higher than e.g. the Vario Connect.

From reading the manual it is not clear how you switch from issuing commands to typing from the keyboard. It is also not clear how to use the Windows Key even though it is used in more and more script assignments. And is there both and alt and control key, there may be but I am really not sure if it must be changed or can be changed or already is in the assignment of keys, instead of all the functions that have several key assignments?

I wonder if the WizWheels this times actually will be more stable than on the Pac Mate display where they cannot be used to read by line since they often do not pan a line? And if some of the other keys are placed close to the end of the display so you do not need to move your hands to pan the display?

It is said in the announcement that the display gives you " "braille anywhere, on a wide range of devices," But are e.g. Talkx supported?

I am looking for a wireless braille sollution and this looks promising, but of course hands on is a must with a braille display. Since it is wireless it is to me obvious that almost all commands must be possible throug this display. If anybody have seen it or will see it on the conventions I would like to hear more about it.

more information and a manual is at:
http://www.freedomscientific.com/products/fs/focus-40-blue-product-page.asp

Claus

Alternative archives located at: