Re: accessible facebook?

  • From: Yardbird <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 12:45:34 -0700

Laura,

Just a couple of suggestions on that question. First is that in the society
at large, most people are sighted, and most people will appreciate seeing
what another  person looks like. this isn't simply phony or a beauty contest
issue, though of course some people are like that. But everyone except those
who can't see other people want very much to see them, both in daily life
and also online. it's really normal, and just because I may no longer be
able to see what other people look like, that doesn't mean I begrudge them a
look at me.

I say this as someone who could see people and photographs of people for
more than fifty years of my life, whereupon retinal degeneration robbed me
of the central vision that's necessary to see faces, to read, and other
detail vision. My far peripheral vision isn't all gone yet, so I'm what you
might call a partial. But experience tells me that photos are far from
either absurd in general! Honestly.

I'm not currently on Facebook or any other social network, but I do have a
personal Web site, and there are a couple of photos of myself on the home
page and bio page that trusted friends have taken of me and helped me choose
for this purpose, describing each photograph to me so I could get an idea
about what each one looked like and whether it flattered me or at least
didn't present me too unattractively.

hope that helps. Others may feel differently about such things, and I say
right here that I don't care to argue about it philosophically. It's not an
abstract or philosophical concept, at least not by my lights. I'm simply
speaking from my own experience.

Joel