Re: accessible Bible

  • From: Alex Midence <alex.midence@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 11:12:16 -0600

The biggest difference you'll find in it is that it says Jehovah where
you would see  LORD or The Lord God or some such all-cap replacement
for the hebrew letters yod hey waw hey which is the way in which God's
proper name was written in the original Tanach or Hebrew Bible.  The
King James Versions, at least the one I have at home, tells you in the
Foreword that they substituted the proper name with LORD in all caps
or other things.  I think NIV and the Jerusalem Bible do this too.
I've got like six or seven different versions and translations at the
house.  Putting the name in th esame place you find it in the original
(I've checked in the braillle Tanach and in the one at the Sacred Text
website), is one of the things that makes it a translation.  It also
preserves some of the expressions they used back then though they
sound clumsy in English.    And, the site itself tells you up front
that it's the Jehovah's Wittness website and does so in many many
languages.  It's supposed to be the most multilingual site on the net.
 I found it quite fascinating to see the braille codes for all sorts
of indigenous langauges and the like.  Jaws, of course, mangled them,
I'm sure but the braille display was handy.
Anyway, use it or not, the choice is yours.  All I said is that it's
very accessible and gave the pitfalls encountered by a Jaws user.

thanks.
Alex

On 1/14/09, Cheryll <cheryll@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Please take note!  The New World Translation, is just that!  A Translation,
> Not a Version!
>
> Thanks,

Alternative archives located at: