Re: access violation

  • From: "Tom Lange" <trlange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 06:25:24 -0800

Hi,
You wrote:

> greetings
> Today, as I was installing a program, a message pops up "an access
violation occurred" while copying some files. The file
c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RICHED32.dll could not be copied. I was prompted to either
retry, ignore or abort. I tried retry many times but nothing worked. So I
have nno choice except to invoke ignore. Everything went fine then.
> Kindly tell me what is going on and what is this file
c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\riched32.dll which is causing access violation? How can I
fix this in future?
> thanks so much for all your advice.

Very odd.  Was this a DOS-based installation program, perhaps? Just curious.
Basically, an access violation occurs when you or a program attempts to
replace a file that is currently in use by the system.  A good rule of thumb
to follow when doing installations is to ensure that no other programs other
than Windows itself are running.  For example, don't have MS Word running
when trying to install a new version of MS Office.

Tom