a further word regarding JAWS not announcing contacts on sign in and the apparent solution

  • From: "Ray Foret Jr." <rforetjr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Freedom Scientific Technical support" <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 05:24:51 -0600

Dear Tracy, You will recall that in my last message to you, I said,  "With
regard to the technical support request seen below, I have found both the
source for the problem and the solution for it as well.  it appears that
the merge utility is corrupting some of the functionality of JAWS.  This can
be seen first in the Windows Messenger issue I first reported; and, with
regard
also to the repair issue as well.  I would appreciate any further info the
development team may be able to find and I'd like to see this corrected so
that
those who use the merge utility may not have this happen in the future.  I
just re installed JAWS version 6 (the quella version) and manually
configured
all the settings by hand copying only the default.jdf files.  I had to
redirect all the custom program script files to the path:
c:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Freedom
Scientific\jaws\6.0\Settings\Enu (where "user" equals the name of the
computer user.  Thanks.
"

    It now appears that my original theory regarding the merge utility was
not entirely correct.  While it is true that I am getting much faster
response with JAWS after manually configuring my settings as opposed to
initializing a merge, the problem of a Windows Messenger not being announced
upon sign in still remained.  This problem and change in behavior exhibited
itself when my JAWS verbosity was set to advanced and item 12 in the
advanced preferences setting (JAWS Messages) was unchecked.  I found that,
so long as this box was unchecked in the verbosity settings, I would get the
following response from the press of shift+alt+f12 while in Windows
Mesenger...one press of shift+alt+f12 and nothing was said.  Two quick
presses of shift+alt+f12 and still nothing was said.  After pressing
shift+alt+f12 twice quickly, and then pressing it again only once, I heard,
"Contacts will not be announced when they sign in.  To enable this feature,
click this hot key twice.".  However, pressing this hot key twice produced
no announcement; and, JAWS was still not announcing names of contacts who
signed in.  Checking the "JAWS Message" item in the advanced verbosity
settings changes this behavior in the following way:  After making the
change, and while in Windows Messenger, press shift+alt+f12 once produces
the message, "no contact has signed in sense you last started JAWS." or
else, if a contact has signed in, you're given this information.  Pressing
shift+alt+f12 twice quickly produces the message, "contacts will not be
announced when they sign in."   Another press twice quickly of shift+alt+f12
produces the message, "Contacts will be announced when they sign in.  The
only conclusion I can come to is that there must be some  flaw in the
scripts for either msn or in the default.jss.  Further experimentation
reveals that replacement of the scripts for msn which are found in JAWS
version 6 with those found in JAWS version 5.1 also can be used to correct
this issue.  One final thing regarding this matter.  IF the scripts for
msn.jss found in JAWS version 6 are replaced with those in JAWS version 5.1,
the behavior I described with the JAWS Message" checked in the advanced
verbosity settings is still the case, but with the msn.jss meant for JAWS
5.1 installed instead of those for JAWS 6.0, the JAWS Message option can
remain unchecked.  IF anything changes, or I find out more, I will let you
know.

Sincerely Yours,

The Constantly BAREFOOTED
Ray

Home Phone And Fax:  (985)853-0139
E-mail and Windows Messenger:
rforetjr@xxxxxxxxx

God Bless President George W Bush
God Bless America
And God Bless Our Troops

    With regard to the repair of JAWS, it seems that manually configuring
the settings has solved this issue.