XP Home with Outlook 2000

  • From: "Rick Hume" <rlhume@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 18:19:56 -0400

I asked the following question of the list a few days ago:
I use the latest version of JAWS with Windows 98 and XP Home edition.
I need to export my Outlook address book from my home office to my business
office, where I am setting up a new computer.  I will regularly need to export
and import my address book to keep both locations files refreshed.
If you could assist me by explaining the process, I would be very appreciative.

I did as one respondent recommended and read a couple of tutorials, located I
believe, on the JFW Lite site.  Although they seem to clarify the issue, I am
still having problems.  Let me first layout my situation.

My computer at my home office runs Windows 98 with Microsoft Outlook (2000
version) as my email program.  At work my computer runs Windows XP Home edition
with Microsoft Outlook (also 2000 version) as my email program.

First of all, I would like to copy a couple of my mail folders from my home
computer to my business computer.  I would also like to copy my address book
from my home computer to my business computer.  This would allow me to get a
jump on setting up the new computer.

I exported my address book into a file with a CSV extension.  From what I could
tell, this seemed to perhaps be a logical choice.  Maybe not, as I can't seem
to import it into Outlook on my business computer.  I exported my mail folders
to files with PST extensions, which really seemed to be right.  Well, once
again maybe not, as I once again can't import them into Outlook in my business
computer.

Yes, I am not a rocket scientist!  I would like to be able to refresh both
computers address books regularly.  This will allow me to contact my customers
from both offices, always having updated contact information on both computers.

If anyone is familiar with this scenario and would be able to walk me through
the entire process, I would be very appreciative.  I am enclosing my direct
email address if you would prefer to write me off-list.  If you feel the
explanation would be too lengthy to write about, I would be most happy to call
you; just drop me your phone number and the best time to contact you.

Again, thank you in advance for your assistance.

Rick Hume
rick@xxxxxxxxxxx