Re: Worth upgrading to JAWS 12 from 11 question

  • From: "Farfar Carlson" <dgcarlson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 11:23:01 -0800

Ed,

You can learn the ribbons, and you seem to be astute enough to do so, based on
your postings. Give them a try before you buy JAWS 12. Try to note or remember
those Alt+ key combinations you use often because most will still work with the
ribbon.

I worked with Office 2007 for a couple years with JAWS 9 and JAWS 11 before I
finally loaded JAWS 12. The Virtual ribbon is nice, but it screws up the Quick
Access Toolbar functionality, and that's the one area that FS needs to decide
on how they want to handle it, since it's no longer even consistent across the
Office suite of programs. Of course you don't know yet what I'm referring to,
since the QAT is part of the ribbon. However the QAT is very nice as it allows
you to customize those often-used tools into simple Alt + number shortcuts.

Take the ribbon plunge with your current version of JAWS, and steady on, my
friend.

Dave
Composed on a Dell Latitude 630 in the general vicinity of my Audio Recording
and Mixing Studios, San Francisco Bay Area.