Re: Wireless Networking

  • From: "Steve" <k8sp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 20:54:46 -0400

Lora,

I have experience with both a Linksys (not wireless) and a D-Link 614+
wireless router.

First, although it is certainly not definitive, the vast majority of routers
interface with devices by RJ-45 network cables, not USB.  My D-Link doesn't
have any USB ports on it at all.

As for web interface, I think most routers have a web interfac3e for
configuration.  My particular D-Link has graphical links.  They speak as 12,
17, 22 27, and unless you remember what 17 or 22 do, for example, it is more
or less trial-and-error until you get to the page you want i.e. wireless
settings, port forwarding, filters, etc.  It is not impossible to navigate,
but that graphical link labeling with no alt-text labels is a bit of a
drawback.

As for the Linksys routers, the ones I'
ve seen are more straightforward in that respect.

HTH,
Steve
Lansing, MI