Re: Wireless Networking

  • From: "Steve" <k8sp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 16:09:47 -0400

Beto,

What your saying is not correct.  You can have dynamic as well as static DSL
or cable addresses.  It all depends on what you want to pay, as getting a
static IP address is probably going to cost extra.

Second, even with a dynamic address, you will get hacked and probed.  Don't
assume just because you have a dynamic address that you are any more secure;
as the dynamic address doesn't change all that often.  For that reason, I use
both a hardware and software firewall here; the hardware firewall being built
into my D-Link router.  Is it overkill?  Probably.

I won't post any further on this, as I know it isn't really on-topic for this
list, but I just wanted to point out that there are some potential
misconceptions here.

Steve
Lansing, MI