Wireless Networking

  • From: "Beto Escobar III" <betoescobar3@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 14:27:31 -0500

Hello Ptuing--
Well, if you have high speed internet access through DSL, you must be aware of
one very important thing-- your internet protocol.  In DSL it is **static**,
but in cable it is **not**!  Basically, with DSL, you **must** if your PC is
always on; get a firewall.  The bad thing, however, if your firewall is on the
PC you wish to protect,  the hackers will be attempting to break through your
firewall which is **on** your PC?!?!?!?!  One of my friends who works in the
I.S. department at USAA told me what is the use of that?

As  result, my wife and I went wireless, as I mentioned in the initial E-mail
which started this entire string because we wanted to use cable, and as Mike
stated at all areas of the home, (by the way we just purchased a new home) and
I did not want wires laying all over the place.  We also purchase a router
which is our firewall and to say one more time-- cable is not an internet
protocol where the connection is static!

Beto