RE: Windows ME, CE, and NT

  • From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 13:55:46 -0700

Hi,
ME = so-called Millennium Edition, but popularly known as Mistaken Edition
(which I agree).
CE: supposedly Consumer Electronics, but with the recent trends, it is
stepping away from that objective.
NT: Supposedly New Technology, but we'll see how long that would be true
(perhaps not anymore).
My research interests mostly deal with CE kernel (nk.exe) and a version of
JAWS that runs on it; unless I (and others) see a mainstream version of JAWS
for Windows Mobile being released, I will not recommend the hardware config
which this particular JAWS runs on it. It is better to diversify and not
stick to only one solution, which is the reason why I've wrote that blog
article in the first place:
http://joslee22590.blogspot.com/2010/08/opinion-possibility-of-jaws-for-wind
ows.html
The content of my blog is something that I believe is relevant on other
lists (not here though, although the architecture would be relevant here).
One more thing: Just because a company is bad does not mean the product
could be worse. We've seen this case before - a company regaining reputation
thanks to user communication and improvements on their product and
commitment for diversification. However, there is a one huge drawback for
being famous: one needs to keep in mind that others are quickly catching up
to them, as in the case of changing views on embedded architecture and
operating system selections away from big name brands, as it is happening
right now (even on this list). I expect to see yet another heated debate by
December of this year... But until then, I'll just write messages that does
benefit not only current users, but future users as well and continue to
learn programming...
Cheers,
Joseph S. Lee
University of California, Riverside
P.S. "It is better for new users to learn useful tricks than this user
getting a headache about something he or she has no clue on the subject at
hand."