Win 2000 Pro versus XP Pro with JFW

  • From: "Alan Clendinen" <alanclendinen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 09:54:29 -0500

Hello listers,
I discussed this issue with a friend and former coworker, who is a NASA
software engineer at Kennedy Space Center. He has a Masters in computer
science, and is working on his doctorate. He told me the following facts:
1. It is not fair to make comparisons between Windows 2000 Professional and
Windows XP Home version. If you are going to compare Windows 2000 Pro with
XP, it must be XP Pro.

2. The footprint size of XP Pro and Win 2000 Pro are the same since the
kernel is the same.

3. The main difference between the two operating systems is the user
interface. XP Pro attempts to mimic the latest Apple Macintosh OS look and
feel,but this feature is irrelevant to JFW users, since they will need to
configure the view settings to optimize it for JFW.

4. The problem with XP Pro, however, is its registration scheme. All it
takes is some hardware modifications or additions, and suddenly XP Pro gives
you an error message that says your operating system isn't registered! Then
you have to contact Microsoft and beg them to re-register your legal copy of
XP Pro. Windows 2000 Pro doesn't have this annoying problem.

6. The performance between the two operating systems is negligible.
Depending on your hardware configuration you may find that Windows 2000 Pro
is faster, or vice-versa.

In his opinion, Windows 2000 Pro is the better of the two operating systems.
My brother, who is the database administrator for a major Florida electric
utility company, also said he prefers Windows 2000 Pro over XP Pro.

It's important to note that both Windows 2000 Pro and Windows XP Pro require
you to have JFW Professional version.

Regards,

Alan