Re: Who Needs JAWS 12 Anyway?

  • From: Alex Midence <alex.midence@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 15:28:37 -0500

Oh, I don't know.  I was one of those who vociferously denounced,
cursed and disparaged Office 2007 when I got introduced to it about a
year ago.  (Check the archives if you don't believe me.)  I've found
that the ribbon tool bar has grown on me of late.  And, if I get tired
of messing with it, I can type alt-f and arrow down to
word/powerpoint/excel options and then I can customize my toolbar so
that I just arrow up above the ribbon and have all sorts of neat
commands like table, paragraph, theme and the like readily accessible.
 Ribbon's not so bad once you get used to it.  It was just a shock at
first because it's like you ahve to learn a whole new bit of software
when you go from 2003 to 2007.  Very little of your old knowledge
translates over with regard to navigation.  Believe it or not though,
it actually makes some things easier like formatting documents.  With
themes, it's easier for a blind person to make decently formatted
documents now since a lot of the guesswork is taken out of it.

What makes it a really good idea to familiarize yourself with the
ribbon though is this:

Developers are totally on board with the whole ribbon concept and are
putting it in aplications other than just Office 2007.  Many of them
have taken it into their heads that an application just doesn't look
modern or doesn't have a modern interface unless it's got that nasty
old ribbon on it.  That thinking is probably going to spread so, might
as well get to know the ribbon in an aplication that is heavily
supported by assistive technology because, folks, it ain't pretty when
you have it in something that's not and familiarity with it helps a
lot.

Thanks.
Alex M

On 8/8/10, Dave Durber <d.durber@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: