Re: Which Speech Engines are JFW users using? Tell me why!

  • From: "Sean M McMahon" <smcmahon@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:32:53 -0700

There have been some posts on the sluggishness of atnt natural voices with
jaws.  You really need a fast computer, 1ghz for them wo perform well
according to the nextup website.  I did like their spanish voices compared
to eloquence.  Someone here posted the link to outloud which sounds great,
but it doesn't read links on webpages properly while using the virtual
cursor.  I don't no of anything which speaks Texan yet, either the west
texas form, the north texas form as in the moovie "hands on a hard body "
or Boomhour from "King of the hill".  I think it would be great if we had
voices which did verious English accents.  I suppose we could start
modifying the dictiojnary files and see what happens.

"Beto Escobar III" <betoescobar3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: jfw-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
09/13/2004 08:45 AM
Please respond to jfw

        To:     "JFW List Serve" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        cc:
        Subject:        Which Speech Engines are JFW users using?  Tell me why!

Hello Everyone on the List Serve--
My name is Beto Escobar III, and I am wanting to know which Speech Engines
are the most used by JAWS users?  I am using the DECTalk Express, but I
just purchased the AT&T's Natural Voices.

I remember when I first heard the DECTalk I thought-- Wow!  That really
sounds good!  Then a friend sent me a link to a wav file he created using
his AT&T's Natural Voices, and I was just stunned.  It really blew me
away.  It honestly sounded like a natural voice.  He was using the United
Kingdom female voice, and the accent, and me being a Texas boy, sounded
very real.  As a result, I went ahead and purchased both the AT&T's Speech
Engine, which comes standard with two American voices both male and
female, as well as the United Kingdom female voice.  I hope to be
receiving them today.  I wonder though, what else is out there?  I would
not have any idea.  As a result, I am sending this question to the list
serve.  What Speech Engines are you using?  Are you pleased with how it
sounds?  Do you have any recommendations for the rest of the users?  Are
there any we should stay away from?  Let us, or me, know.

Thanks,
Beto Escobar III a JFW USER SINCE 2.0 WAS RELEASED!

Post Script--
I purchased the DECTalk Access 32-- Don't buy it!  Stay Away!  Eloquence
Blows it away!