Which Speech Engines are JFW users using? Tell me why!

  • From: "Beto Escobar III" <betoescobar3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JFW List Serve" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:45:26 -0500

Hello Everyone on the List Serve--
My name is Beto Escobar III, and I am wanting to know which Speech Engines are
the most used by JAWS users?  I am using the DECTalk Express, but I just
purchased the AT&T's Natural Voices.

I remember when I first heard the DECTalk I thought-- Wow!  That really sounds
good!  Then a friend sent me a link to a wav file he created using his AT&T's
Natural Voices, and I was just stunned.  It really blew me away.  It honestly
sounded like a natural voice.  He was using the United Kingdom female voice,
and the accent, and me being a Texas boy, sounded very real.  As a result, I
went ahead and purchased both the AT&T's Speech Engine, which comes standard
with two American voices both male and female, as well as the United Kingdom
female voice.  I hope to be receiving them today.  I wonder though, what else
is out there?  I would not have any idea.  As a result, I am sending this
question to the list serve.  What Speech Engines are you using?  Are you
pleased with how it sounds?  Do you have any recommendations for the rest of
the users?  Are there any we should stay away from?  Let us, or me, know.

Thanks,
Beto Escobar III a JFW USER SINCE 2.0 WAS RELEASED!

Post Script--
I purchased the DECTalk Access 32-- Don't buy it!  Stay Away!  Eloquence Blows
it away!